[Bruce Rogers] Murdock, Kenneth B. The Portraits of Increase Mather with Some Notes on Thomas Johnson, an English Mezzotinter. Cleveland: For Private Distribution by William Gwinn Mather, 1924. Printed by Bruce Rogers at the Harvard University Press. Limited to 250 copies, of which this is #29. Inscribed by W.G. Mather to his niece, Constance Mather Bishop. Printed from Baskerville type on handmade Batchelor Hammer & Anvil paper. Frontis portrait in color, plus nine other portraits. Morocco spine and marbled boards. Bookplate of Ben D. Zevin [of World Publishing Co.]. Housed in original slipcase with original cardboard folder/jacket. Top edge gilt. Measures approx. 7.75" x 10.25". Some light rubbing to corners & top of spine, and spine slightly faded. Grolier 277.
"Oversheets from Bruce Rogers" [Proof Illustrations and Pages]. Housed in a worn paper folder are the following:
- Four proofs of the frontispiece portrait tissue guard, with two on paper watermarked "Barcelona Catalunya Spain", which appears to be different than the paper used in the book.
- A black & white proof of the frontispiece portrait (Plate III).
- A proof of the frontispiece portrait, featuring the following note from Rogers:
- "This is the reproduction first made by the Heliotype Co - which I would not accept - and, I believe, the only print extant of it. You may care to preserve it with the others. B.R.
- Another proof of the frontispiece portrait, noting it as the "2nd printing of Heliotype" (not in BR's hand).
- A third proof of the frontispiece portrait, with a note in light pencil from BR: "The finished sheets will not 'buckle' like this." (Indeed, there is some buckling to the image, and Rogers was accurate: the finished product has not buckled.)
- Five proofs of Plate I.
- Proof of pages 3-10.
- Three proofs of Plate II.
- Five proofs of Plate IV.
- Proof of pages 43-50, with Plates V and VII included (these were presumably to see the plates in context with the printing).
- Three proofs of Plate V.
- Two proofs of paper guards for Plate VI.
- Proofs of pages 45-48, with Plate V, VI, and VII included.
- Five proofs of Plate VI.
- One proof of Plate VII.
- Twelve(!) proofs of Plate VIII.
- Four proofs of paper guards for Plate IX.
- One proof of Plate IX.
- One proof of Plate X.