Lucas, St. John (chosen by). The Oxford Book of French Verse, XIIIth Century - XIXth Century. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1907. Bound in crushed morocco by Edith J. Gedye with gilt ruling and small clusters of fifteen inlaid green dots at each corner of both front and rear covers. Spine features the title to the second compartment, along with a single inlaid green dot surrounded by smaller dots in gilt in the other compartments. Four gilt rules to the turn-ins. Dark green endpapers. All edges gilt. Signed by the binder with her monogram and date on the rear turn-in. Measures approx. 4.5" x 6.75". Some light fading to spine and minor gilt loss around two of the five inlaid dots at spine.
Edith J. Gedye is perhaps most well known for the bindings she executed with Miss M. Marshall (who was likely taught by either Douglas Cockerell or Sangorski & Sutcliffe), which were exhibited at the A&CES shows in 1903 and 1907. Though Marshall appeared to have stopped binding with the outbreak of WWI, Gedye established her own workshop at Gaunt House, Orchard Street, Bristol (Tidcombe).