"Guest Book". Appears to have been used as a guest book by a single family from 1920-1967; inscribed "F.M. Elliott and E.K. Elliott 1920" on the free flyleaf. Initially used for "Woodhall, Castle Hedingham, Essex" in 1920, then "Treskelly, Marnhull, Dorset" in 1921, then "Delphi Lodge, Leenane, County Galway" in 1924--still in existence today, now as a hotel. Approximately half of the book's pages have been filled.
Bound by Alice Pattinson (and very likely George Fisher) in dark green crushed morocco: signed "19 AP 04", with Pattinson's AP monogram. Large arts & crafts rectangular design to the center of the front cover, decorated with poppies and leaves connected with swirling gouges, as well as small tan inlaid roundels. Large border of dual overlapping fillets in to rows, with small tan inlaid roundels intersecting the outer border at each dual fillet. Similar design to five of six spine compartments, with "Guest Book" in the second compartment. Triple gilt fillets to dentelles, with green paper endpapers and flyleaves. Measures approx. 9" x 11.75". Given its active use over 47 years, the binding has held up fairly well. Spine rubbed and worn, with head and tail spine tips chipped, and some of the inlaid roundels missing. Small 3/4" closed cracks to head and tail of front cover. Corners bumped and worn, with slight edgewear.
Pattinson and Fisher exhibited a "Guest Book, bound in dark green morocco, hand-tooled" at the Universal Exposition in St. Louis in 1904, though one can't be certain if this is the same volume.
"Alice Pattinson (Mrs. Raymund Allen) was also one of Cockerell’s pupils, and she set up her bindery in his rooms at 29 Gilbert Street when he moved out to Ewell in 1902. She received a good deal of praise for her bindings, which were illustrated in Art Workers Quarterly, Art Journal, and The Art of the Book (1914). Her work was indeed to a very high standard, but, like Sarah Prideaux, she had professional help. She must have bound a few books under Cockerell, but virtually all her later bindings were forwarded by her partner Else Hoffman, and finished by George Fisher, who at the time was one of the finest finishers in England. Fisher attended Douglas Cockerell’s evening classes at the Central School, and Cockerell introduced him to Pattinson just after he had finished his apprenticeship with Riviere’s. Pattinson made no secret of employing Fisher, although frequently her bindings were illustrated in catalogues and journals with no mention at all of who did the different parts of the work. Her bindings are signed with the monogram of her initials, similar to that of Annie Power, and are usually dated." (Marianne Tidcombe, Women Bookbinders 1880-1920).